I’m excited to be attending the seminar next month. Will you be going?
The Craft and Business of Retailing Artisan Cheese
This year’s course takes place Wednesday, May 30 through Saturday, June 2. Enrollment is now open. If you like to join us, make a deposit today to guarantee your spot.
Congratulations to Steve Jones for winning first place in the 2011 Cheesemonger Invitational in Long Island City, New York, besting 40 competitors from around the world! Here’s a recent interview with Steve from About Face magazine.
Taught by cheesemonger/entrepreneur Steve Jones, owner of Cheese Bar in Portland, Oregon, this intensive seminar is a three-day mini-apprenticeship in the traditional craft of the cheesemonger. You’ll experience first-hand how a veteran cheesemonger plans, stocks, finances and runs his operation. There will be a stellar line-up of speakers on business savvy and cheese retailing, field trips to complementary businesses, and lots of guided tasting of the world’s finest cheeses and the foods and beverages that complement them.
- business planning for cheese retailers
- professional tasting skills
- telling the story of cheese to your customers
- creating your unique retail mix
- cheese display, aging and storage
- alternative profit channels for retailers
- working with cheese distributors, farmstead cheesemakers and other producers
- publicity and marketing for small food businesses
- designing the cheese shop space
- pairing cheeses with beer and wine
- using the internet to enhance your business
Full details and register via Open a Cheese Shop | Food By Hand Seminars.